Women over 50 can benefit from regular strength training, but you don’t have to be a professional body builder to see physical benefits and experience better health.
As we age, we lose lean muscle mass. In fact, we lose approximately 3% to 8% of muscle mass every decade after the age of 30! And, the rate of decline increases after the age of 60.
The good news is this loss isn’t inevitable. We can do something about it. Regular strength training is the answer.
Benefits of Strength Training:
- Higher metabolic rate, meaning your body is more efficient at burning calories throughout the day.
- Maintain independence and ability to do everyday activities, like lifting grandchildren, carrying groceries, gardening, and moving with ease.
- Decreased risk of falls, balance loss, and functional decline.
- Stronger bones and reduced risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Decreased risk of chronic diseases, including obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
Columbus Community Hospital built our new wellness center with you in mind. We have a friendly and knowledgeable staff, state-of-the-art strength machines that are easy to use and kind to your body, free weights of all sizes, and classes to help you get started and stay engaged in your fitness journey. And, memberships are reasonably priced so you don’t overpay for good health.
There’s lots of ways to check us out:
- Come by for a tour. We’re at 107 Shult Drive
- Call us for more information (979-493-7592)
- Check out our group fitness schedule
We look forward to seeing you!